Workforce of the Future is a Cisco commissioned survey of 10,000 office-based employees across Europe, the Middle East and Russia.
As part of the survey, office-based employees were asked for their expectations of employers from 2021 onwards. The results show that employees want greater control over where and how they work, which is set to challenge cultural norms around the workplace.
Only 5% of those surveyed worked from home before the lockdown, but now, 87% want more choice over how and when they use the office space – including a hybrid approach to in-office and remote work.
Looking ahead, the survey shows:
- Employees want increased autonomy (63%) while 61% want to keep hold of faster decision-making.
- Two thirds (66%) now have a greater appreciation of the benefits and challenges of working from home, following the past 6 months.
- Employees are able to better balance life around work, with 56% incorporating more exercise into their daily routine.
- In a similar spirit, 58% want to continue travelling less and use that time more productively.
- 65% agree that one of the big positives to come from lockdown is proof that employees don’t need to be in the same room to collaborate effectively.