Advertisement
Back To Daily Digest
The Future Is Uncertain For Small Coworking Firms
Tags: BUSINESS

The Future Is Uncertain For Small Coworking Firms

While major coworking players are expected to play a role in shaping the industry’s post-pandemic reality, small operators have an uncertain future as they lack the financial cushion of their larger counterparts.

“Us mom-and-pops have worked so hard to have the small piece that we had, and we’re giving back a much larger piece of what we’ve had now,” said Lisa Skye, cofounder and CEO of Primary. “For the larger operators, it’s a less significant impact.”

Primary is just one example of an operator who had to give back a big portion of its portfolio as it goes through the bankruptcy process.

So far, small operators in Manhattan gave back 180,000 square feet in the year ending March 2021. With this, more established operators have been slowly taking over abandoned space in hopes of staying afloat amidst the uncertainty.

The Latest News
Delivered To Your Inbox

Others have closed all together. For instance, The Assemblage closed all three of its Manhattan locations last June.

According to a report from Upsuite, 20% of all coworking spaces had closed, and operators within just one market made up 46.4% of those closures.

Large operators were also forced to give back a huge portion of space, but these firms have had the ability to restructure other leases and their overall business model to become sustainable in the future.

“The WeWork, the Knotels, the IWGs, those guys are like 20% of the market,” said Liz Elam, founder and executive producer of Global Coworking Unconference Community. “The other 80% is small-to-medium-sized business operators.”

ABOUT Aayat Ali
Aayat Ali

Aayat is an editor for the Daily Digest based in Lexington, Kentucky. She has worked with local coworking spaces since August of 2017 and enjoys taking her firsthand knowledge to write about the fascinating, constantly evolving world of flexible workspaces. Feel free to reach out to her at [email protected] View all posts by Aayat Ali

Latest on Daily Digest

Converted Office Buildings Could Transform NYC Real Estate
Converted Office Buildings Could Transform NYC Real Estate

Adapting To The Future Of Hybrid Working
Adapting To The Future Of Hybrid Working

The Business Types To Emerge Post-pandemic
The Business Types To Emerge Post-pandemic

Medical Coworking Could Keep Occupancy Afloat
Medical Coworking Could Keep Occupancy Afloat

Tenant Experience App Receives Big Funding

Remote Working Requires True Flexibility
Remote Working Requires True Flexibility

Decreased Office Density Could Mean Decreased Demand
Decreased Office Density Could Mean Decreased Demand

Addressing Future Of Work Needs
Addressing Future Of Work Needs

Flexibility Is Key For The Future Of Work
Flexibility Is Key For The Future Of Work

Ad
Advertisement

FOLLOW US

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • instagram
  • pinterest
Ad
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement