A new poll from GoodHire shows that managers may fire employees if they are unwilling to return to the office.
According to the survey, three in five managers said they would either fire or cut the salaries of workers if they do not return to the office as society enters a post-pandemic era.
Additionally, three in four managers said they prefer some in-person work throughout the week and 78% said their workers have come into the office some of the time during the pandemic.
In contrast to what many employees have desired, 51% of managers said they believed workers wanted to return to the office full-time, while the remaining 49% said they were uncertain of their employees’ preferences.
Around one in four managers said their productivity has dipped during the pandemic, but 73% said they saw either an improvement or unchanged engagement and productivity levels.
At the same time, 68% said they have adjusted their hiring process to address the new desire for flexible work arrangements. Still, 60% of managers said their company will maintain a full-time return-to-office policy.
“Organizations that find a work arrangement that satisfies the majority of their workforce will benefit in the areas of recruitment, productivity, employee satisfaction, and retention,” said Max Wesman, chief operating officer at GoodHire.